The appointees are expected to participate in research projects relating to bio-based conversions, microbial fermentation, bio-products, waste treatment and recycling. Key duties will include experiment planning and design, conducting experiments, data analyses and interpretation, and writing publications arising out of research work.
Applicants should possess a Doctoral degree in bioengineering, environmental biotechnology, or applied/industrial microbiology. Applicants should have a strong background and publication record in the above areas. Experience in microbial fermentation, bioreactor operation and control, and anaerobic digestion is required. Applicants should have good command of spoken and written English and good communication skills.
Initial appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract of one year. The appointees are expected to commence duty as soon as possible. Re-appointment thereafter is subject to mutual agreement and availability of funding.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Biochemical engineering and process optimization
- Waste valorization and sustainable chemistry
- Recombinant DNA technology for microbial fermentations
- In-situ product recovery
Integration of Next-Generation Rhamnolipid Production into Anaerobic Digestion: New Prospects for Advanced Biorefineries. Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC), Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF) (ITS/176/18). HK$1,271,900 December 2018 – May 2020. PI
* Corresponding author; 1Co-first authors
- Guneet Kaur, Hung-chi Cheung, Wei Xua, Jun Vic Wong, For Fan Chan, Yingxue Lia, Larry McReynolds, Linfeng Huang. Milligram scale production of potent recombinant small interfering RNAs in Escherichia coli. Biotechnology and Bioengineering (2018) DOI 10.1002/bit.26740 (IF: 4.481)
- Guneet Kaur*, Miranda Maesen, Linsey Garcia-Gonzalez, Heleen De Wever, Kathy Elst*. Novel intensified back extraction process for Itaconic Acid – toward in Situ product recovery for Itaconic acid fermentation. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 6 (2018) 7403-7411 (IF: 5.951)
- Jonathan WC Wong, Guneet Kaur, Sanjeet Mehariya, Obulisamy Parthiba Karthikeyan, Guanghao Chen. Food waste treatment by anaerobic co-digestion with saline sludge and its implications for energy recovery in Hong Kong. Bioresource Technology (2018) (Accepted) (IF: 5.651)
- Huaimin Wang, Guneet Kaur, Nattha Pensupa, Kristiadi Uisan, Carol Sze Ki Lin. Textile waste utilization by using submerged filamentous fungal fermentation. Process Safety and Environmental Protection 118 (2018) 143-151 (IF: 3.441)
- Guneet Kaur, Kristiadi Uisan, Khai Lun Ong, Carol Sze Ki Lin. Recent Trends in Green and Sustainable Chemistry & Waste Valorisation: Rethinking Plastics in a Circular Economy. Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry 9 (2018) 30-39 (Selected for Media coverage in Elsevier Chemistry – https://www.elsevier.com/physical-sciences/chemistry/new-chemistry-research/plastics-in-the-circular-economy)(Invited review) (Top downloaded article March-May 2018)
- Khai Lun Ong1, Guneet Kaur1, Nattha Pensupa, Kristiadi Uisan, Carol Sze Ki Lin. Trends in food waste valorization for the production of chemicals, materials and fuels: Case study South and Southeast Asia. Bioresource Technology 248 (2018) 100-112 (IF: 5.651)
- Guneet Kaur, A K Srivastava, Subhash Chand. Debottlenecking product inhibition in 1,3-Propanediol fermentation by In-Situ Product Recovery (ISPR). Bioresource Technology 197 (2015) 451-57 (IF: 5.651)
- Wouter Van Hecke1, Guneet Kaur1, Heleen De Wever. Advances in In-Situ Product Recovery (ISPR) in whole cell biotechnology during the last decade. Biotechnology Advances 32 (2014) 1245-55 (IF: 10.597)
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 7747