Assistant Professor (Research)
Assistant Director (Admin), the Golden Meditech Centre for NeuroRegeneration Sciences
BSc, China Pharmaceutical University
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Aging research – ovarian inflammaging (inflammation and aging).
- Cancer Research – Cancer prevention and treatment via anti-inflammation using nature product/Chinese medicine
HIGHLIGHT PROJECTS / AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Aging research – ovarian inflammaging (inflammation and aging). (GRF: Ref: 12102919; 2019-2021); aging and neurological disease.
- Cancer Research – Cancer prevention and treatment via anti-inflammation using nature product/Chinese medicine. (HMRF: Ref: 14151791; 2017-2019
EDITORIAL BOARD / PANEL
- Editor, Annals of Medicinal Chemistry and Research (USA). (2016-present)
- Asso Editor, Special issue, Frontier in Pharmacology. (2018)
- Review Editor, Frontier in Pharmacology. (2016-present)
- Member of Editorial board, Integrative Cancer Therapy. (2016-present)
- Zhang SQ, Lin KL, Law CY, Liu B, Fu XQ, Tse WS, Wong SSM, Sze SCW*,Yung KKL*. (2019) Oleanolic acid enhances neural stem cell migration, proliferation, and differentiation in vitro by inhibiting GSK3β activity. Cell Death Discovery. 2019 Jul 10;5:116.
- Lin K, Liu B, Lim SL, Fu XQ, Sze SCW, Yung KKL*, Zhang SQ*. (2019) 20(S)-protopanaxadiol promotes the migration, proliferation, and differentiation of neural stem cells by targeting GSK-3β in the Wnt/GSK-3β/β-catenin pathway. Journal of Ginseng Research (available online 25 Mar 2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2019.03.001
- Zhang L, Ng TB, Lam JKW, Wang SW, Lao L, Zhang KY, Sze SCW*. (2019) Research and development of proteins and peptides with therapeutic potential from yam tubers. Current Protein & Peptide Science. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2019;20(3):277-284.
- Wang X, Wang GC, Rong J, Wang SW, Ng TB, Zhang YB, Lee KF, Zheng L, Wong HK, Yung KKL*, Sze SCW*. (2018) Identification of Steroidogenic Components Derived from Gardenia jasminoidesEllis Potentially Useful for Treating Postmenopausal Syndrome. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2018 May 30;9:390. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2018.00390.
- Liu JY, Chen XX, Chen HY, Shi J, Leung GP, Tang SC, Lao LX, Yip HK, Lee KF, Sze SCW, Zhang ZJ, Zhang KY. (2018) Downregulation of Aquaporin 9 Exacerbates Beta-amyloid-induced Neurotoxicity in Alzheimer’s Disease Models In vitroand In vivo. Neuroscience, 394, 72-82.
- Chen XX, Leung GPH, Zhang ZJ, Xiao JB, Lao LX, Feng F, Mak JCW, Wang Y, Sze SCW*, Zhang YB*. (2017) Proanthocyanidins from Uncaria rhynchophyllainduced apoptosis in MDAMB-231 breast cancer cells while enhancing cytotoxic effects of 5-fluorouracil. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 107(Pt A): 248-260.
- Wang SW, Cheung HP, Tong Y, Jia L, Ng TB, Zhang YB, Zhang ZJ, Lee KF, Lam JKW, Sze SCW*.(2017) Steroidogenic Effect of Erxian Decoction for menopause via Akt/PKB pathway in vitro and in vivo. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 195:188-195.
- Cheung TS, Song TH, Ng TB, Wu FH, Lao LX, Tang SC, Ho JC, Zhang KY*, Sze SCW*. (2015) Therapeutic Effects of Herbal Chemicals in Traditional Chinese Medicine on Alzheimer’s disease.
- Wong KL, Lai YM, Li KW, Lee KF, Ng TB, Cheung HP, Zhang YB, Lao LX, Wong RNS, Shaw PC, Wong JH, Zhang ZJ, Lam JKW, Ye WC, Sze SCW*. (2015) A Novel, Stable, EstradiolStimulating, Osteogenic Yam Protein with Potential for the Treatment of Menopausal Syndrome. Scientific Report, 5:10179.
- Wong KL, Wong RN, Zhang L, Liu WK, Ng TB, Shaw PC, Kwok PC, Lai YM, Zhang ZJ, Zhang YB, Tong Y, Cheung HP, Lu J, Sze SCW*. (2014) Bioactive proteins and peptides isolated from Chinese medicines with pharmaceutical potential. Chinese Medicine, 9:19.
- Sze SCW, Wong KL, Tong Y, Zhang YB, Cheung HP. Novel Bioactive Protein Isolated from Chinese Yam and uses thereof. US Patent and Trademark Office, U.S. Patent No.: US9273105B2. Patent Date: Mar. 1, 2016. (Patent has been licensed on Dec, 2016 for functional food and drug development)
Chapters in textbook:
- English Book Chapter for “Chinese Medicine Research”《中醫科研英語教程》人民衛生出版社:
- Chief Editor – Prof Y TONG, previous Director, School of Chinese Medicine, HKU
- Chapter 5: Menopausal Research in Chinese Medicine. Sze SCW, Ng TB, Tong Y. 2016
- Chapter 8: Preparation of Manuscript and Procedures for Publication. Sze SCW, Ng TB. 2016
Office: RRS 908
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 2318