Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Applied Biology
The Department of Biology at HKBU offers a four-year undergraduate degree programme for BSc (Hons) in Applied Biology. The programme provides students with comprehensive training in biological sciences with specialties in biotechnology and environmental sciences. The courses are designed to assist students in understanding the theories of biology and to provide training in technical skills for research and applications.
The BSc (Hons) in Applied Biology programme provides professional training on two fields of biology.
- Biotechnology – Students in this concentration will develop an understanding of the theories of biology as well as biotechnology applications by taking courses in the fields of cellular/ molecular/ developmental biology, organismal biology, genetics, molecular biotechnology, and other biological fields. In addition, various laboratory courses in these fields are provided to equip students with technical skills for biological and biomedical research and biotechnology industry.
- Environmental Science – Students in this concentration will develop understanding of the theories of biology as well as environmental science by taking courses in the fields of microbiology, biodiversity, ecology, biochemistry, environmental health and toxicology, biological resources management and other biology related courses. Students will learn practical skills, such as the collection and analyses of water and soil samples from the field, and instrumental analyses in the lab, and various management tools and their applications to address current and topical environmental and human health-related issues and challenges.
Minimum Admission Requirement
Students will be admitted on a Faculty basis with broad-based education in all scientific fields in Year 1. It allows students to explore and experience various scientific disciplines before choosing their Major study programme in Year 2.
Introductory science courses in Year One Curriculum for all students admitted into Faculty of Science
- Introduction to Biology
- Introduction to Chemistry
- Essence of Computing
- Introduction to Mathematics and Statistics
- Introduction to Physics or Introduction to Energy Science
- Integrated Science Laboratory
Apart from Integrated Science Laboratory, students are free to choose four or five
of the above introductory science courses in their Year 1 curriculum.
Criteria for Major Programme Assignment include:
(I) Students who have attained a 5* in relevant science subjects will be guaranteed for admission to the relevant major programme; or
(i) a minimum cGPA of 2.0 attained by the end of Year 1; and
(ii) a grade of C in BIOL1005 Introduction to Biology
(iii) interview performance, if applicable.
(Years 2 – 4)
|Environmental Science Concentration
(Years 2 -4)
|Year 2||Biological Chemistry
Cell Biology Lab
Introduction to Environmental Sciences
|Year 3||Animal Physiology
Animal Physiology Lab
Plant Physiology Lab
General Education or GE Capstone
|Biological Resources and Management
Environmental Health and Toxicology
Waste Treatment and Recycling
General Education or GE Capstone
|Year 4||Animal and Plant Biotechnology
Applied Biology Project I
Biotechnology Studies Lab I
Biotechnology Studies Lab II
Fermentation and Enzyme Technology
|Applied Biology Project I
Environmental Science Lab I
Environmental Science Lab II
Principles of Environmental Management