CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Identification of potential therapeutic targets for metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) and to test relevant inhibitors for anti-cancer therapy.
- Analysis of the polymorphisms of the tumor suppressor gene, Serum Amyloid A 1 (SAA1), and its associations with NPC and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) risk.
- Development and testing of molecules to target the oncogenic Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and other cancer proteins for both imaging and inhibition of various cancer types.
- Studies of the roles of our previously identified tumor suppressors in tumor invasion and metastasis by using NPC and ESCC as models.
As a PI:
- The epithelial SAA1 protein regulates Epithelial-Mesenchymal-Transition (EMT) in normal esophageal epithelium and esophageal carcinoma. GRF, HK$847,450, 2017
- The effects of the IKKbeta-specific inhibitor PSl145 on tumor formation and metastasis in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF), HK$966,316, 2015
- The functional role(s) of SAA1 polymorphisms in integrin-focal adhesion kinase-mediated cell adhesion and tumor metastasis GRF, RGC, HK$788,541, 2014
- The serum amyloid A1 (SAA1) Polymorphisms as Risk Factors in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. HMRF, HK$785,624, 2013
- The role of serum amyloid A1 (SAA1) in nasopharyngeal carcinoma, GRF, RGC, HK$1,100,000, 2009
- Zha S, Fung YH, Chau HF, Ma P, Lin J, Wang J, Chan LS, Zhu G, Lung HL*, Wong KL*. (2018) Responsive upconversion nanoprobe for monitoring and inhibition of EBV-associated cancers via targeting EBNA1. Nanoscale (IF = 7.233), 10(33):15632-15640.
- Jiang L, Lan R, Huang T, Chan C-F, Li H, Lear S, Zong J, Wong W-Y, Lee MM-L, Chan BD, Chan W-L, Lo W-S, Mak NK, Lung ML, Lung HL, Tsao SW, Taylor GS, Bian Z-X, Tai WCS, Law G-L, Wong WT, Cobb SL, Wong KL. (2017) Targeting EBNA1: A therapeutic approach for EBV-related tumour with tailor responsive optical imaging. Nature Biomedical Engineering. In press. (IF not yet available, a new Nature sister journal launched in early 2017)
- Yu VZ, Wong VC, Dai W, Ko JM, Lam AK, Chan KW, Samant RS, Lung HL, Shuen WH, Law S, Chan YP, Lee NP, Tong DK, Law TT, Lee VH, Lung ML. (2015) Nuclear Localization of DNAJB6 Is Associated With Survival of Patients With Esophageal Cancer and Reduces AKT Signaling and Proliferation of Cancer Cells. Gastroenterology. (IF = 16.716; Rank = 1/131 = 0.76% in Gastroenterology) 149(7):1825-36.
- Lung HL*, Man OY, Yeung MC, Ko JMY, Cheung AKL, Law EWL, Yu Z, Shuen WH, Tung E, Chan SHK, Bangarusamy DK, Cheng Y, Yang X, Kan R, Phoon Y, Chan KC, Chua D, Kwong DL, Lee AWM, Ji MF, Lung ML*. (2014) SAA1 polymorphisms are associated with variation in anti-angiogenic and tumor suppressive activities in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oncogene (Impact Factor, IF = 8.559) 34(7):878-89.
- Lung HL, Cheung AK, Ko JM, Cheng Y, Stanbridge EJ, Lung ML. (2012) Deciphering the molecular genetic basis of NPC through functional approaches. Semin Cancer Biol. (IF = 9.143) 22:87-95.
- Huang Z, Cheng Y, Chiu PM, Cheung FMF, Nicholls JM, Kwong DL-W, Lee AWM, Zabarovsky ER, Stanbridge EJ, Lung HL*, Lung ML*. (2011) Tumor suppressor Alpha B-crystallin (CRYAB) associates with the cadherin/catenin adherens junction and impairs NPC progression-associated properties. Oncogene (IF = 8.559) 31:3709-20.
- Lo PH#, Lung HL#, Cheung AK, Apte SS, Chan KW, Kwong FM, Ko JM, Cheng Y, Law S, Srivastava G, Zabarovsky ER, Tsao SW, Tang JC, Stanbridge EJ, Lung ML. (2010) Extracellular protease ADAMTS9 suppresses esophageal and nasopharyngeal carcinoma tumor formation by inhibiting angiogenesis. Cancer Res. (IF = 9.284) 70:5567-76.
- Lung HL, Cheung AK, Cheng Y, Kwong FM, Lo PH, Law EW, Chua D, Zabarovsky ER, Wang N, Tsao SW, Stanbridge EJ, Lung ML. (2009) Functional characterization of THY1 as a tumor suppressor gene with antiinvasive activity in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Cancer. (IF = 5.007) 127:304-12.
- Cheung AK, Lung HL, Ko JM, Cheng Y, Stanbridge EJ, Zabarovsky ER, Nicholls JM, Chua D, Tsao SW, Guan XY, Lung ML. (2009) Chromosome 14 transfer and functional studies identify a candidate tumor suppressor gene, mirror image polydactyly 1, in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. (IF = 9.809) 106(34):14478-83.
- Lung HL, Lo PH, Xie D, Apte SS, Cheung AK, Cheng Y, Law EW, Chua D, Zeng YX, Tsao SW, Stanbridge EJ, Lung ML. (2008) Characterization of a novel epigenetically-silenced, growth-suppressive gene, ADAMTS9, and its association with lymph node metastases in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Cancer. (IF = 5.007) 123(2):401-8.
- Lung HL, Lo CC, Wong CC, Cheung AK, Cheong KF, Wong N, Kwong FM, Chan KC, Law EW, Tsao SW, Chua D, Sham JS, Cheng Y, Stanbridge EJ, Robertson GP, Lung ML. (2008) Identification of tumor suppressive activity by irradiation microcell-mediated chromosome transfer and involvement of alpha B-crystallin in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Cancer. (IF = 5.007) 122(6):1288-96.
- Lung HL, Leung Cheung AK, Xie D, Cheng Y, Kwong FM, Murakami Y, Guan XY, Sham JS, Chua D, Protopopov AI, Zabarovsky ER, Tsao SW, Stanbridge EJ, Lung ML. (2006) TSLC1 Is a Tumor Suppressor Gene Associated with Metastasis in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. Cancer Res. (IF = 9.284) 66:9385-9392.
- Lung HL, Bangarusamy DK, Xie D, Cheung AK, Cheng Y, Kumaran MK, Miller L, Liu ET, Guan XY, Sham JS, Fang Y, Li L, Wang N, Protopopov AI, Zabarovsky ER, Tsao SW, Stanbridge EJ, Lung ML. (2005) THY1 is a candidate tumour suppressor gene with decreased expression in metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oncogene. (IF = 8.559) 24:6525-32.
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 2447