CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Translational research on nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Development of photosensitizers for cancer therapy.
Our research is supported by the UGC-AoE scheme, Center for Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Research
- Ting CM, Wong CK, Wong RN, Lo KW, Lee AW, Tsao GS, Lung ML, Mak NK. (2011) Role of STAT3/5 and Bcl-2/xL in 2-methoxyestradiol-induced endoreduplication of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Mol Carcinog. doi: 10.1002/mc.20867.
- Koon HK, Lo KW, Leung KN, Lung ML, Chang CC, Wong RN, Leung WN, Mak NK. (2010) Photodynamic therapy-mediated modulation of inflammatory cytokine production by Epstein-Barr virus-infected nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Cell Mol Immunol. 7(issue 4), 323 – 326.
- Koon HK, Chan PS, Wu ZG, Wong RN, Lung ML, Chang CK, Mak NK. (2010) Role of mitogen-activated protein kinase in Zn-BC-AM PDT-induced apoptosis in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Cell Biochem Funct., 28(3):239-248.
- Ting CM, Lee YM, Wong CK, Wong AS, Lung HL, Lung ML, Lo KW, Wong RN, Mak NK. (2009) 2-Methoxyestradiol induces endoreduplication through the induction of mitochondrial oxidative stress and the activation of MAPK signaling pathways. Biochemical Pharmacology. 79 (6), 825 – 841.
- Koon HK, Chan PS, Wong RNS, Wu ZG, Lung ML, Chang CK, and Mak NK. (2009) Targeted inhibition of the EGFR pathways enhances Zn-BC-AM PDT-induced apoptosis in well-differentiated nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells”. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry. 108 (6), 1356 – 1363.
- Chan, P.S, Koon H.K, Wu Z.G, Wong R.N.S, Lung M.L, Chang C.K and Mak N.K. (2009) Role of p38 MAPKs in Hypericin Photodynamic Therapy-induced Apoptosis of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Cells. Photochem Photobiol., 85, 1207 – 1217.
- Lee YM, Ting CM, Cheng YK, Fan TP, Wong RN, Lung ML, Mak NK. (2008) Mechanisms of 2-methoxyestradiol-induced apoptosis and G2/M cell-cycle arrest of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Cancer Letters, 268, 295 – 307.
Photodynamic Therapy and Cells Imaging Agents
- Zhang JX, Zhou JW, Chan CF, Lau TC, Kwong DW, Tam HL, Mak NK, Wong KL, Wong WK. (2012) Comparative Studies of the Cellular Uptake, Subcellular Localization, and Cytotoxic and Phototoxic Antitumor Properties of Ruthenium(II)-Porphyrin Conjugates with Different Linkers. Bioconjug Chem. 23(8):1623-38. Epub 2012 Jul 23.
- Zhao Z, Chan PS, Li H, Wong KL, Wong RN, Mak NK, Zhang J, Tam HL, Wong WY, Kwong DW, Wong WK. (2012) Highly selective mitochondria-targeting amphiphilic silicon(IV) phthalocyanines with axially ligated rhodamine B for photodynamic therapy. Inorg Chem. 51(2):812 – 821.
- Ke H, Wang H, Wong WK, Mak NK, Kwong DW, Wong KL, Tam HL. (2010) Responsive and mitochondria-specific ruthenium (II) complex for dual in vitro applications: two-photon (near-infrared) induced imaging and regioselective cell killing. Chem Commun (Camb). 46(36), 6678 – 6680.
- Zhang J, Wong KL, Wong WK, Mak NK, Kwong DW, Tam HL. (2011) Two-photon induced luminescence, singlet oxygen generation, cellular uptake and photocytotoxic properties of amphiphilic Ru(ii) polypyridyl-porphyrin conjugates as potential bifunctional photodynamic therapeutic agents. Org Biomol Chem. 9(17), 6004 – 6010.
- Dan Zhao, Zhike He, Pui Shan Chan, Ricky N. S. Wong, Nai Ki Mak, Albert W. M. Lee, and Wing Hong Chan. (2010) NAC-Capped Quantum Dot as Nuclear Staining Agent for Living Cells via an In Vivo Steering Strategy. J. Phys. Chem. C 2010, 114, 6216–6221.
- Feng XJ, Wu PL, Bolze F, Leung HW, Li KF, Mak NK, Kwong DW, Nicoud JF, Cheah KW, Wong MS. (2010) Cyanines as new fluorescent probes for DNA detection and two-photon excited bioimaging. Org Lett., 12(10):2194 – 2197
- Chen JY, Lee YM, Zhao D, Mak NK, Wong RN, Chan WH, Cheung NH. (2010) Quantum Dot-mediated Photoproduction of Reactive Oxygen Species for Cancer Cell Annihilation. Photochem Photobiol. 86 (2): 431 – 437.
- Poon CT, Chan PS, Man C, Jiang FL, Wong RN, Mak NK, Kwong DW, Tsao SW, Wong WK (2009) An amphiphilic ruthenium(II)-polypyridyl appended porphyrin as potential bifunctional two-photon tumor-imaging and photodynamic therapeutic agent. J. Inorg Biochem. 104 (1), 62-70.
- Jiang FL, Poon CT, Wong WK, Koon HK, Mak NK, Choi CY, Kwong DW, Liu Y. (2008) An amphiphilic bisporphyrin and its Yb(III) complex: development of a bifunctional photodynamic therapeutic and near-infrared tumor-imaging agent. Chembiochem. 9 (issue 7), 1034 – 1039.
- Tian Y.Y, Leung W.N., Yue K. M, and Mak N.K. (2006) Cell death induced by MPPa–PDT in prostate carcinoma in vitro and in vivo. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 348, 413–420.
- Mak N.K., Lung M.L., Chang C.K., and Leung K.N. (2006) Photosensitizers as novel compounds in apoptosis research. In “New Developments in Cell Apoptosis Research”. Edited by Alan J. Corvin. Nova Publishers.
- Leung K.N., Mak N.K. and Fung MC (2005) Cytokines in the Differentiation Therapy of Leukemia: From Laboratory Investigations to Clinical Applications. Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences 42: 1-42.
Office: RRS 818
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 7059