|CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Urban Environments, Pollution and Mitigation
- Biosecurity and Environmental Hygiene
- Building Microbiology and Urban Ecology (e.g. cockroaches, biocontaminants and indoor air quality)
- Urban Resources and Resilience
- Establishment of Anti-Infectious Diseases Bioassay Evaluation Platform for Drug Discovery from Plant Natural Products PI: Dr Zhang HongJie; Co-I: Prof. Zhao Zhongzhen, Dr Lai Ka Man, RC Interdisciplinary Research Matching Scheme (IRMS), 1/4/2017-31/3/2019
- Stress resistance genes as the new engineering target for environmental control of airborne bacteria, GRF 12218416, 1/1/2017 – 31/12/2019
- What makes an odorous air conditioning system in Hong Kong? Environment and Conservation Fund 89/2015, 1/5/16 – 30/4/18
- FRG – Environmental and biological factors influencing the urban cockroach ecology, population dynamics and human pathogen and other hazard contents in Hong Kong 2013
- Outdoor airborne pathogens and human health in the UK (AirPath), supported by NERC, EA, Defra, the MOD, MRC, The Wellcome Trust, ESRC, BBSRC, EPSRC and HPA – Grant reference:NE/E00881X/1, NE/E008674/1, NE/E008852/1 (2007-2009)
- Infrastructure and the 21st century infectious diseases, supported by the EPSRC Challenging Engineering Awards 2008- Grant reference: EP/G029881/1 (2009-2014)
- EU FP7 RIBS: Resilient Infrastructure and Building Security – Bio-Protection (2010-2013)
- Lay perceptions, prejudice and the natural environment in the spread of animal-human and human-human infections, Environmental and Social Ecology of Human Infectious Diseases (ESEI) catalyst project MRC (2010-2011)
- Biosafety and biosecurity supported by the EPSRC Engineering Doctorate in Urban Sustainability and Resilience and Laing O’Rourke (2011-2015)
- Green Space-age: Integrating vegetation with MEP systems supported by the EPSRC Engineering Doctorate in Urban Sustainability and Resilience (2009-2013)
- Indoor air quality and environmental hygiene in subdivided units in Hong Kong
EXAMPLES OF CONSULTANCY SERVICES
- House dust and particulate matter (PM) analysis – e.g. Endotoxins, glucans, allergens and microbes
- Environmental mould and bacteria identification
- Performance test of air cleaners
- Ng, T.W., Chan, W.L. and Lai, K.M. 2017. Importance of stress-response genes to the survival of airborne Escherichia coli under different levels of relative humidity. AMB Express 7:71.
- Lai, K.M. 2017. Are cockroaches an important source of indoor endotoxins? International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 14:91.
- Lai, K.M., Sung, Y.H. and Ma, K.K. 2017. Viable airborne microbial counts from air-cooling units with and without complaints of urine and body odors. Aerobiologia 33:229-241.
- Mak, K.K.W., Chan, W.H., Lai, K.M., Wong, K.C.K and Lau, P. 2016. A CoP project enhancing student learning through a holistic mentoring program in the sciences. Learning Communities Journal 8:123-144.
- Lai, K.M., Lee, K.M. and Yu, W. 2015 Air and hygiene quality in crowded housing environments – a case study of subdivided units in Hong Kong. Indoor and Built Environment DOI: 10.1177/1420326X15600042
- Brown, J.R., Tang, J.W., Pankhurst, L., Klein, N., Gant, V., Lai, K.M., McCauley, J. and Breuer, J. 2015. Influenza virus survival in aerosols and estimates of viable virus loss resulting from aerosolization and air-sampling. Journal of Hospital Infection 91:278-281.
- Vardoulakis, S., Dimitroulopoulou, C., Thornes, J., Lai, K.M., Taylor, J., Myers, I., Heaviside, C., Mavrogianni, A., Shrubsole, C., Chalabi, Z., Davies, M. and Wilkinson, P. 2015. Impact of climate change on the domestic indoor enviornment and associated health risks in the UK. Environment International 85:299-313.
- Lai, K.M., Ramirez, C., Liu, W., Kirilova, D., Vick, D., Mari, J., Smith, R., Lam, H.Y., Ostovari, A., Shibakawa, A., Liu, Y., Samant, S. and Osaro, L. 2015. Bridging the sanitation gap between disaster relief and development – a scenario approach to identify critical components and generic processes. Disasters 39(4):648-664.
- D’Arcy N, Cloutman-Green E, Lai KM, Margaritis D, Klein N, and Spratt DA. 2014. Potential exposure of children to environmental microorganisms in indoor healthcare and educational settings. Indoor and Built Environment March 25, 2014 1420326X14527018
- Taylor, J., Margaritis, D., Nasir Z.A., Borrion, H. and Lai, K.M. 2013. The role of protection measures and their interaction in determining building vulnerability and resilience to bioterrorism. Journal of Bioterrorism & Biodefense 4:1
- Khan, M.Z., Lai, K.M., Campos, L. and Jones, L. Effects of dissolved oxygen and idle time on bioremediation of synthetic sewage. Water Management (in press)
- Goodwin, R., Schley, D., Lai, K.M., Graziano, M.C., Cook, N. and Barnett, J. 2012. Interdisciplinary approaches to zoonotic infection. Infectious Disease Reports 4:e37.
- Taylor, J., Biddulph, P., Davies, M., and Lai, K.M. 2013. Predicting the microbial exposure risks in urban floods using GIS, building simulation, and microbial models. Environmental International 51:182-95.
- Taylor, J., Lai, K.M. and Nasir Z. 2012. Human factors and bioagent transmission following an indoor bioterror attack. Journal of Bioterrorism & Biodefense 3:1
- Lai, K.M. Infrastructure and Health, Controversies in Science and Technology, Volume 4., Ed D.L. Kleinman, K.A. Cloud-Hansen and J. Handelsman. Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. publishers. (in press)
- Borrion, H., T. Mitchener-Nissen, J. Taylor, and Lai, K.M. 2012. Countering Bioterrorism: Why smart buildings should have a code of ethics, in European Conference in Intelligence Security Informatics, edited, IEEE, Odense, Denmark.
- S. Vardoulakis, J Thornes and Lai, K.M. 2012. Health effects of climate change in the indoor environment, Health Effects of Climate Change in the UK, commissioned by the UK Department of Health and edited by the Health Protection Unit, UK
- Taylor, J., Davies, M., Canales, M. and Lai, K.M. 2012. The persistence of flood-borne pathogens on building surfaces under drying conditions. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2012.03.010
- Khan, M.Z., Yim S. and Lin Y.J and Lai, K.M. Testing biological effects of hand washing grey water for reuse in irrigation on an urban farm: A case study. Environmental Technology 34:545-51.
- Taylor, J., Biddulph, P., Davies, M., Ridley, I., Mavrogianni, A., Oikonomou, E., Lai, K.M. 2013. Using building simulation to model the drying of flooded building archetypes. International Journal of Building Performance Simulation 6:119-140.
- Pankhurst, L.J., Anaraki, S. and Lai, K.M. 2012. Combining environmental assessment and contact investigations to make tuberculosis screening decisions. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 16:1023-1029.
- Y. Rydin, M. Davies, J.D. Dávila, P.C. Hallal, I. Hamilton, K.M. Lai and P. Wilkinson. 2012. Healthy communities, Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability 17: 553-560.
- Rydin,Y., Bleahu, A., Davies, M., Dávila, J.D., Friel, S., De Grandis, G., Groce, N., Hallal, P.C., Hamilton, I., Howden-Chapman, P., Lai, K.M., Lim, C.J., Martins, J., Osrin, D., Ridley, I., Scott, I., Taylor, M., Wilkinson, P., Wilson, J. 2012. Shaping cities for health: complexity and the planning of urban environments in the 21st century. The Lancet 379: 2079-2108.
- D’Arcy N, Canales M, Spratt DA, Lai, K.M. 2012. Healthy Schools: Standardisation of culturing methods for seeking airborne pathogens in bioaerosols emitted from human sources. Aerobiologia 28: 413-422.
- Lai K.M., Z.H. Ozuah et al. 2012. Systems connectivity between social, cultural and economic factors and housing environments associated with TB transmission in slums. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 55: 355-367.
- Maliki, A.D. and Lai, K.M. 2011. Design and application of a pre-composting test step to determine the effect of high fat food wastes on an industrial scale in-vessel composting system. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation. 65:906-911.
- Pankhurst, L. J., Taylor, J., Cloutman-Green, E. A., Hartley, J. C. and Lai, K.M. 2012. Can clean-room particle counters be used as an infection control tool in hospital operating theatres? Indoor and Built Environment 21: 381-391.
- Lai, K.M., Bottomley, C., McNerny, R. 2011. Propagation of Respiratory Aerosols by the Vuvuzela. PLoS ONE. 6(5)
- Taylor, J., Lai, K.M., Davies, M., Clifton, D., Ridley, I. and Biddulph, P. 2011. Flood Management: Prediction of microbial contamination in large-scale floods in urban environments. Environment International 37: 1019-1029.
- Pankhurst L. J., Akeel U., Hewson C., Maduka I., Pham P., Saragossi J., Taylor J. and Lai K.M. 2011. Understanding and mitigating the challenge of bioaerosol emissions from urban community composting. Atmospheric Environment 45: 85-93.
- Taylor, J., Davies, M., Lai, K.M. 2010. The Simulation of the Post Flood Drying of Dwellings in London. In: Rameezdeen, R. and Senaratne, S. and Sandanayake, Y.G., (eds.) Proceedings of the International Conference on Sustainable Built Environments. University of Moratuwa: Sri Lanka.
- Lai, K.M., 2010. Health Impact Assessment for Sustainable Water Management. Waterlines 29: 77-78.
- Lai, K.M., Emberlin, J. and Colbeck, I. 2009. Outdoor environments and human pathogens in air. Environmental Health 8 (Suppl 1): S15.
- Cheng, K. Y., Lai, K. M. and Wong, J. W. C. 2008. Effects of pig manure compost and nonionic-surfactant Tween 80 on phenanthrene and pyrene removal from soil vegetated with Agropyron elongatum. Chemosphere 73: 791-797.
- Altamirano-Medina, H., Davies, M., Lai, K. M., Ridley, I., Mumovic, D. and Oreszczyn, T. 2007. Performance criteria for the avoidance of mould growth in dwellings. The 6th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality, Ventilation & Energy Conservation in Buildings (IAQVEC2007), Tokyo, Japan.
- McDevitt, J. J., Lai, K. M., Rudnick, S. N., Houseman, E. A., First, M. W. and Milton, D. K. 2007. Characterization of UVC Light Sensitivity of Vaccinia Virus. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 73: 5760-5766.
- Lai, K. M. 2006. Hazard identification, dose-response and environmental characteristics of stachybotryotoxins and other health-related products from Stachybotrys. Environmental Technology 27: 329-335.
- Lai, K. M. 2005. Using selective media to assess aerosolization damage and ultraviolet germicidal irradiation susceptibility of Serratia marcescens. Aerobiologia 21: 173-179.
- Martin, O. V., Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2005. Receiver-Operator Characteristic (ROC) analysis for environmental diagnosis: A potential application to endocrine disruptors screening: In vitro estrogenicity bioassays. Environmental Science and Technology 39: 5349-5355.
- Lai, K. M., Burge, H. A. and First, M. W. 2004. Size and ultraviolet germicidal irradiation susceptibility of Serratia marcescens when aerosolized from different suspending media. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70: 2021-2027.
- Gomes, R. L., Deacon, H., Lai, K. M., Birkett, J. W., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2004. An assessment of the bioaccumulation of estrone in Daphnia magna. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 23: 105-108.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Wan, C. K., Ma, K. K. and Fang, M. 2002. Isolation and optimization of PAH-degradative bacteria from contaminated soil for PAHs bioremediation. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 139: 1-13.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2002. Prediction of the bioaccumulation factors and body burden of natural and synthetic estrogens in aquatic organisms in the river systems. Science of the Total Environment 289: 159-168.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2002. The effects of natural and synthetic steroid estrogens in relation to their environmental occurrence. Critical Reviews in Toxicology 32: 113-132.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2002. Biotransformation and bioconcentration of steroid estrogens by Chlorella vulgaris. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 68: 859-864.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Su, D. C., Fang, M. and Zhou, L. X. 2001. Effect of applying Hong Kong biosolids and lime on nutrient availability and plant growth in an acidic loamy soil. Environmental Technology 22: 1487-1495.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Su, D. C. and Fang, M. 2001. Availability of heavy metals for Brassica chinensis grown in an acidic loamy soil amended with a domestic and an industrial sludge. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 128: 339-353.
- Lai, K. M., Johnson, K. L., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2000. Binding of waterborne steroid estrogens to solid phases in river and estuarine systems. Environmental Science and Technology 34: 3890-3894.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Fang, M. and Ma, K. K. 2000. Soil biology of low grade landfill cover soil with sewage sludge amendment. Environmental Technology 21: 1233-1238.
- Lai, K. M., Ye, D. Y. and Wong, J. W. C. 1999. Enzyme activities in sandy soil amended with sewage sludge and coal fly ash. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 113: 261-272.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Fang, M. and Ma, K. K. 1998. Effect of sewage sludge amendment on soil microbial activity and nutrient mineralization. Environment International 24: 935-943.
- Wong, J. W. C. and Lai, K. M. 1996. Effect of an artificial soil mix from coal fly ash and sewage sludge on soil microbial activity. Biology and Fertility Soils 23: 420-424.
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 5835