|CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Environmental Hygiene
- Building Microbiology
- Environment and Conservation Fund (Project 01/2017) Control and prevention of mould contamination in Hong Kong indoor environments 5/18-4/20
- Establishment of anti-infectious diseases bioassay evaluation platform for drug discovery from plant natural products PI: Dr Zhang HongJie; Co-I: Prof. Zhao Zhongzhen, Dr Lai Ka Man, RC Interdisciplinary Research Matching Scheme (IRMS), 1/4/2017-31/3/2019
- Stress resistance genes as the new engineering target for environmental control of airborne bacteria, GRF 12218416, 1/1/2017 – 31/12/2019
- Environment and Conservation Fund (89/2015) What makes an odorous air conditioning system in Hong Kong? 1/5/16 – 30/4/18
- FRG – Environmental and biological factors influencing the urban cockroach ecology, population dynamics and human pathogen and other hazard contents in Hong Kong 2013
- Outdoor airborne pathogens and human health in the UK (AirPath), supported by NERC, EA, Defra, the MOD, MRC, The Wellcome Trust, ESRC, BBSRC, EPSRC and HPA – Grant reference:NE/E00881X/1, NE/E008674/1, NE/E008852/1 (2007-2009)
- Infrastructure and the 21st century infectious diseases, supported by the EPSRC Challenging Engineering Awards 2008- Grant reference: EP/G029881/1 (2009-2014)
- EU FP7 RIBS: Resilient Infrastructure and Building Security – Bio-Protection (2010-2013)
- Lay perceptions, prejudice and the natural environment in the spread of animal-human and human-human infections, Environmental and Social Ecology of Human Infectious Diseases (ESEI) catalyst project MRC (2010-2011)
- Indoor air quality and environmental hygiene in subdivided units in Hong Kong
- In-cabin air quality in air-conditioned private vehicles in Hong Kong
EXAMPLES OF CONSULTANCY SERVICES
- House dust and particulate matter (PM) analysis – e.g. Endotoxins, glucans, allergens and microbes
- Environmental mould and bacteria identification
- Performance test of air cleaners
- Ng, T. W., Chan, P. Y., Chan, T. T., Wu, H. and Lai, K. M. 2017. Skin squames contribute to ammonia and volatile fatty acid production from bacteria colonizing in air-cooling units with odor complaints Indoor Air. Nov 12. doi: 10.1111/ina.12439.
- Awasthi, M.K., Selvam, A., Lai, K.M. and Wong, JWC. 2017. Critical evaluation of post-consumption food waste composting employing thermophilic bacterial consortium. Bioresource Technology 245:665-672.
- Lai, K.M., Lee, K.M. and Yu, W. 2017. Air and hygiene quality in crowded housing environments – a case study of subdivided units in Hong Kong. Indoor and Built Environment 26:32-43.
- Ng, T.W., Chan, W.L. and Lai, K.M. 2017. Importance of stress-response genes to the survival of airborne Escherichia coli under different levels of relative humidity. AMB Express 7:71.
- Lai, K.M. 2017. Are cockroaches an important source of indoor endotoxins? International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 14:91.
- Lai, K.M., Sung, Y.H. and Ma, K.K. 2017. Viable airborne microbial counts from air-cooling units with and without complaints of urine and body odors. Aerobiologia 33:229-241.
- Mak, K.K.W., Chan, W.H., Lai, K.M., Wong, K.C.K and Lau, P. 2016. A CoP project enhancing student learning through a holistic mentoring program in the sciences. Learning Communities Journal 8:123-144.
- Brown, J.R., Tang, J.W., Pankhurst, L., Klein, N., Gant, V., Lai, K.M., McCauley, J. and Breuer, J. 2015. Influenza virus survival in aerosols and estimates of viable virus loss resulting from aerosolization and air-sampling. Journal of Hospital Infection 91:278-281.
- Vardoulakis, S., Dimitroulopoulou, C., Thornes, J., Lai, K.M., Taylor, J., Myers, I., Heaviside, C., Mavrogianni, A., Shrubsole, C., Chalabi, Z., Davies, M. and Wilkinson, P. 2015. Impact of climate change on the domestic indoor enviornment and associated health risks in the UK. Environment International 85:299-313.
- Lai, K.M., Ramirez, C., Liu, W., Kirilova, D., Vick, D., Mari, J., Smith, R., Lam, H.Y., Ostovari, A., Shibakawa, A., Liu, Y., Samant, S. and Osaro, L. 2015. Bridging the sanitation gap between disaster relief and development – a scenario approach to identify critical components and generic processes. Disasters 39(4):648-664.
- D’Arcy, N., Cloutman-Green, E., Lai, K.M., Margaritis, D., Klein, N. and Spratt, D.A. 2014. Potential exposure of children to environmental microorganisms in indoor healthcare and educational settings. Indoor and Built Environment 23: 467-473.
- Taylor, J., Biddulph, P., Davies, M., Ridley, I., Mavrogianni, A., Oikonomou, E., Lai, K.M. 2013. Using building simulation to model the drying of flooded building archetypes. International Journal of Building Performance Simulation 6:119-140.
- Taylor, J., Margaritis, D., Nasir Z.A., Borrion, H. and Lai, K.M. 2013. The role of protection measures and their interaction in determining building vulnerability and resilience to bioterrorism. Journal of Bioterrorism & Biodefense 4:1
- Khan, M.Z., Yim S. and Lin Y.J and Lai, K.M. 2013. Testing biological effects of hand washing grey water for reuse in irrigation on an urban farm: A case study. Environmental Technology 34:545-51.
- Khan, M.Z., Lai, K.M., Campos, L. and Jones, L. 2013. Effects of dissolved oxygen and idle time on bioremediation of synthetic sewage. Water Management. 167: 334-341.
- Taylor, J., Biddulph, P., Davies, M., and Lai, K.M. 2013. Predicting the microbial exposure risks in urban floods using GIS, building simulation, and microbial models. Environmental International 51:182-95.
- Goodwin, R., Schley, D., Lai, K.M., Graziano, M.C., Cook, N. and Barnett, J. 2012. Interdisciplinary approaches to zoonotic infection. Infectious Disease Reports 4:e37.
- Taylor, J., Lai, K.M. and Nasir Z. 2012. Human factors and bioagent transmission following an indoor bioterror attack. Journal of Bioterrorism & Biodefense 3:1.
- Taylor, J., Davies, M., Canales, M. and Lai, K.M. 2012. The persistence of flood-borne pathogens on building surfaces under drying conditions. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health. 216: 91-99.
- Pankhurst, L.J., Anaraki, S., and Lai, K.M. 2012. Combining environmental assessment and contact investigations to make tuberculosis screening decisions, The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 16:1023-1029.
- Y. Rydin, M. Davies, J.D. Dávila, P.C. Hallal, I. Hamilton, K.M. Lai and P. Wilkinson. 2012. Healthy communities, Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability 17: 553-560.
- Rydin,Y., Bleahu, A., Davies, M., Dávila, J.D., Friel, S., De Grandis, G., Groce, N., Hallal, P.C., Hamilton, I., Howden-Chapman, P., Lai, K.M., Lim, C.J., Martins, J., Osrin, D., Ridley, I., Scott, I., Taylor, M., Wilkinson, P., Wilson, J. 2012. Shaping cities for health: complexity and the planning of urban environments in the 21st century. The Lancet 379: 2079-2108.
- D’Arcy N, Canales M, Spratt DA, Lai, K.M. 2012. Healthy Schools: Standardisation of culturing methods for seeking airborne pathogens in bioaerosols emitted from human sources. Aerobiologia 28: 413-422.
- Lai K.M., Z.H. Ozuah et al. 2012. Systems connectivity between social, cultural and economic factors and housing environments associated with TB transmission in slums, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 55: 355-367.
- Pankhurst, L. J., Taylor, J., Cloutman-Green, E. A. and Hartley, J. C. and Lai, K.M. 2012. Can clean-room particle counters be used as an infection control tool in hospital operating theatres? Indoor and Built Environment 21: 381-391.
- Maliki, A.D. and Lai, K.M. 2011. Design and application of a pre-composting test step to determine the effect of high fat food wastes on an industrial scale in-vessel composting system, International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation. 65:906-911
- Lai, K.M., Bottomley, C., McNerny, R. 2011. Propagation of Respiratory Aerosols by the Vuvuzela. PLoS ONE. 6(5)
- Taylor, J., Lai, K.M., Davies, M., Clifton, D., Ridley, I., and Biddulph, P. 2011. Flood Management: Prediction of microbial contamination in large-scale floods in urban environments. Environment International 37: 1019-1029.
- Pankhurst L. J., Akeel U., Hewson C., Maduka I., Pham P., Saragossi J., Taylor J. and Lai K.M. 2011. Understanding and mitigating the challenge of bioaerosol emissions from urban community composting. Atmospheric Environment 45: 85-93.
- Lai, K.M., Emberlin, J. and Colbeck, I. 2009. Outdoor environments and human pathogens in air. Environmental Health 8(Suppl 1): S15.
- Cheng, K. Y., Lai, K. M. and Wong, J. W. C. 2008. Effects of pig manure compost and nonionic-surfactant Tween 80 on phenanthrene and pyrene removal from soil vegetated with Agropyron elongatum. Chemosphere 73: 791-797.
- McDevitt, J. J., Lai, K. M., Rudnick, S. N., Houseman, E. A., First, M. W. and Milton, D. K. 2007. Characterization of UVC Light Sensitivity of Vaccinia Virus. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 73: 5760-5766.
- Lai, K. M. 2006. Hazard identification, dose-response and environmental characteristics of stachybotryotoxins and other health-related products from Stachybotrys. Environmental Technology 27: 329-335.
- Lai, K. M. 2005. Using selective media to assess aerosolization damage and ultraviolet germicidal irradiation susceptibility of Serratia marcescens. Aerobiologia 21: 173-179.
- Martin, O. V., Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2005. Receiver-Operator Characteristic (ROC) analysis for environmental diagnosis: A potential application to endocrine disruptors screening: In vitro estrogenicity bioassays. Environmental Science and Technology 39: 5349-5355.
- Lai, K. M., Burge, H. A. and First, M. W. 2004. Size and ultraviolet germicidal irradiation susceptibility of Serratia marcescens when aerosolized from different suspending media. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70: 2021-2027.
- Gomes, R. L., Deacon, H., Lai, K. M., Birkett, J. W., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2004. An assessment of the bioaccumulation of estrone in Daphnia magna. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 23: 105-108.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Wan, C. K., Ma, K. K. and Fang, M. 2002. Isolation and optimization of PAH-degradative bacteria from contaminated soil for PAHs bioremediation. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 139: 1-13.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2002. Prediction of the bioaccumulation factors and body burden of natural and synthetic estrogens in aquatic organisms in the river systems. Science of the Total Environment 289: 159-168.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2002. The effects of natural and synthetic steroid estrogens in relation to their environmental occurrence. Critical Reviews in Toxicology 32: 113-132.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2002. Biotransformation and bioconcentration of steroid estrogens by Chlorella vulgaris. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 68: 859-864.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Su, D. C., Fang, M. and Zhou, L. X. 2001. Effect of applying Hong Kong biosolids and lime on nutrient availability and plant growth in an acidic loamy soil. Environmental Technology 22: 1487-1495.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Su, D. C. and Fang, M. 2001. Availability of heavy metals for Brassica chinensis grown in an acidic loamy soil amended with a domestic and an industrial sludge. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 128: 339-353.
- Lai, K. M., Johnson, K. L., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2000. Binding of waterborne steroid estrogens to solid phases in river and estuarine systems. Environmental Science and Technology 34: 3890-3894.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Fang, M. and Ma, K. K. 2000. Soil biology of low grade landfill cover soil with sewage sludge amendment. Environmental Technology 21: 1233-1238.
- Lai, K. M., Ye, D. Y. and Wong, J. W. C. 1999. Enzyme activities in sandy soil amended with sewage sludge and coal fly ash. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 113: 261-272.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Fang, M. and Ma, K. K. 1998. Effect of sewage sludge amendment on soil microbial activity and nutrient mineralization. Environment International 24: 935-943.
- Wong, J. W. C. and Lai, K. M. 1996. Effect of an artificial soil mix from coal fly ash and sewage sludge on soil microbial activity. Biology and Fertility Soils 23: 420-424.
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 5835