|CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Deep-sea Biodiversity and Population Connectivity
- Shallow-water Biodiversity and Ecology
- Application of Genomic and Proteomic Tools in Non-model Organisms
ONGOING AND RECENTLY COMPLETED PROJECTS
- Evolution and adaptation of life in cold seep systems. National Key R & D Program of China. 1/8/2018 to 31/12/2021.
- The South China Sea and beyond: A genome-wide phylogeographical study of macrobenthos in the chemosynthesis-based ecosystems of the subtropical to temperate Northwestern Pacific Ocean. GRF Hong Kong (12302917). 09/2017-08/2020.
- Biodiversity and protection assessment in the u-shaped ocean ridge hydrothermal vent systems. China Ocean Mineral Resources R & D Association. 1/7/2018-31/12/2020.
- Bleaching in subtropical corals of the northern South China Sea: differential susceptibility to environmental stressors and molecular mechanisms. GRF Hong Kong (12102018). 1/9/2018-31/8/2020.
- Thermal and salinity thresholds of bleaching in Hong Kong corals. ECF Hong Kong (ECF 2017-03). 1/6/2018 to 31/5/2020.
- Coral bleaching: Molecular mechanisms and early warning biomarkers. Source: Shenzhen Science and Technology Innovation Commission. Duration: 27/05/2017-31/05/2019. PI: J.W. Qiu, Co-Is: Baohua Xiao (Guangdong Ocean University, China)
- Divergence of perivitelline fluid proteins in association with the change in egg deposition environment in apple snails: A transcriptomic and proteomic approach. Source: GRF Hong Kong (HKBU 12301415). Duration: 01/2016-12/2018. PI: J.W. Qiu, Co-Is: Ka Hou Chu (CUHK), Horacio Heras (Argentina)
- Ecology and biodiversity of benthic marine ecosystems before and after the trawling ban in Hong Kong coastal waters (HKU5/CRF/12G). Duration: 01/2014-12/2017. PC: Kenneth Leung, HKU; Co-PIs: William Cheung (UBC), Chu Ka Hou (CUHK), Xiang Dong Li (PolyU), Yvonne Sadovy (HKU), Paul Lam (CityU), David Dudgeon (HKU), Gray Williams (HKU), Wai Keung Li (HKU), J.W. Qiu (HKBU).
- Field experiments on coral bioerosion. Source: ECF Hong Kong (ECF 2015-84). Duration: 6/2016-5/2018. PI: J.W. Qiu
- Marine genomics: crustacean evolution and aquaculture (C5002-14G). Duration 01/2015-12/2018. PC: Ka Hou Chu (CUHK), Co-PIs: J.W. Qiu (HKBU), and 5 other researchers from CUHK, HKU and HKBU.
- Mechanistic study on the organotin-mediated imposex in the rock shell Thais clavigera using RNA-sequencing analysis (HKU 771212M). Duration: 1/1/2013-31/12/2015. PI: Kenneth Leung, HKU; CoI: J.W. Qiu
- 2017-2018. “Provision of consultancy services to conduct a study in coral bleaching and bioerosion in Hong Kong”. Source: Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, Hong Kong SAR Government.
- 2010-2016. “Identification of marine animals collected from Mai Po Ramsar Site” for Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
REPRESENTATIVE REFEREED JOURNAL PAPERS
- Ip JC, Xu T, Sun J, Li R, Chen C, Lan Y, Han Z, Zhang H, Wei J, Wang H, Tao J, Cai Z, Qian PY, Qiu JW (2020) Host-endosymbiont Genome integration in a deep-sea chemosymbiotic clam. Molecular Biology and Evolution doi: 10.1093/molbev/msaa241.
- Sun J, Mu H, Ip JCH, Li R, Xu T, Accorsi A, Sánchez Alvarado A, Ross E, Lan Y, Sun Y, Castro-Vazquez A, Vega IA, Heras H, Ituarte S, Van Bocxlaer B, Hayes KA, Cowie RH, Zhao Z, Zhang Y, Qian PY, Qiu JW (2019) Signatures of divergence, invasiveness and terrestralization revealed by four apple snail genomes. Molecular Biology and Evolution 36: 1507–
- Zhang Y, Sun J, Rouse GW, Wiklund H, Pleijel F, Watanabe HK, Chen C, Qian PY, Qiu JW (2018) Phylogeny, evolution and mitochondrial gene order rearrangement in scale worms (Aphroditiformia, Annelida). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 125: 220–231
- Xu T, Sun J, Watanabe HK, Chen C, Nakamura M, Ji R, Feng F, Lv J, Wang S, Bao Z, Qian PY, Qiu JW (2018) Population genetic structure of the deep-sea mussel Bathymodiolus platifrons (Bivalvia: Mytilidae) in the Northwest Pacific. Evolutionary Applications 11:1915–1930.
- Sun J, Zhang Y, Xu T, Zhang Y, Mu H, Zhang Y, Lan Y, Fields CJ, Hui JHL, Zhang W, Li R, Nong W, Cheung FKM, Qiu JW, Qian PY (2017) Adaptation to deep-sea chemosynthetic environments as revealed by mussel genomes. Nature Ecology & Evolution 1(5):0121
BOOK AND BOOK SECTION
- Ip KKL, Qiu JW* (2017) Invasive apple snails: Ecology and management in Hong Kong. Pages 145-165. In: Joshi R, Cowie R (eds) Global Advances in Ecology and Management of Golden Apple Snails (2nd Ed). Philippine Rice Research Institute.
- Qiu JW, Wong MH (2005) Larvae and small species of polychaetes in marine toxicological testing. Pages 42-43. In: Jay H. Lehr (Editor), Water Encyclopedia, Volume 4, John Wiley, N.Y.
- Wu BL, Wu QQ, Qiu JW, Lu L (1997). Phyllodocimorpha (Polychaeta), Fauna Sinica. Scientific Press, Beijing, 329 pp. (in Chinese)
- Wu BL, Qiu JW(1993) Study of Polychaeta. pp. 449-452. in: Tseng CK, Zhou HR, Li BC (eds) Marine Science Study and Its Prospect in China. Qingdao Press, Qingdao.
CURRENT RESEARCH LABORATORY MEMBERS (T1006-2)
- IP, Chi Ho Jack (Senior Research Assistant)
- HU, Juntong (M.Phil. Student)
- WANG Zhi (Ph.D. Student)
- XIE, James Yang (Research Fellow)
- XU, Ting (Senior Research Assistant)
- ZHANG, Yanjie (Senior Research Assistant)
PAST POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS
- Jack C.H. Ip, PhD. Thesis: Molecular evolution of egg perivitelline fluid proteins in apple snails (Ampullariidae, Caenogastropoda).
- Zhi Wang (2015-2019), PhD. Thesis: Responses of microbenthic communities to pollution control and fisheries management measures in Hong Kong.
- Yolanda Y.H. Yeung (2017-2019), MPhil. Thesis: Baseline, demography and bioerosion of Hong Kong coral communities.
- Ting Xu (2013-2018), PhD. Thesis: Population Connectivity, Local Adaptation, and Biomineralization of Deep-sea Mussels (Bivalvia: Mytilidae) in the Northwestern Pacific
- Yanjie Zhang (2013-2017), PhD. Thesis: Systematics and evolution of scale worms (Aphroditiformia, Polychaeta), with a focus on deep-sea species.
- Huawei Mu (2012-2016), PhD. Thesis: Mechanisms of species invasion in apple snails: Proteome of the egg perivitelline fluid, and proteomic responses of the adults to abiotic stressors.
- James Y. Xie (2012-2017), PhD. Thesis: Growth and bioerosion of massive corals in Hong Kong.
- Kelvin Ka Lok Ip (2011-2013), MPhil. Thesis: Biological control of invasive apple snails in freshwater wetlands.
- Jin Sun (2009-2013), PhD. Thesis: Characterization of the egg and embryonic proteome of Pomacea canaliculata, and responses of the proteome to environmental stressors.
- Dickey Chi-Chung Lau (2007-2011), PhD. Thesis: Variability of the populations of the sea urchin Anthocidaris crassispinain Hong Kong.
- Yanan Sun (2009 – 2011), MPhil. Thesis: Biodiversity and phylogeny of coral-associated polychaetes.
- Pak Ki Wong (2007 – 2009), MPhil. Thesis: Impact of the apple snail, Pomacea canaliculata, on wetland diversity and function.
- King Lun Kwong (2006-2008), MPhil. Thesis: Status of the apple snail, Pomacea canaliculata, in Hong Kong twenty years after its invasion, with emphasis on its distribution, secondary production and trophic relationship.
- Ka Ming Chan (2005-2007), MPhil. Thesis: The use of the rock shell, Thais clavigera, as a biomonitor of tributyltin contamination in Hong Kong and Shenzhen.
- Nga Cheung Wong (2003-2005), MPhil. Thesis: Effects of algae (Isochrysis galbana) and humic acids on copper toxicity to polychaete (Hydroides elegans) larvae.
Office: RRS 820
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 7055