Dr Chung is currently the Senior Lecturer of the Biology Department at the Hong Kong Baptist University. She is also the Director the Master of Science in Environmental and Public Health Management Programme and the Convenor of the Task Force on Campus Sustainability of the Hong Kong Baptist University. Dr Chung has been involved in the area of waste and environmental management of Hong Kong for almost 30 years and has been directly involved in many local and regional government-commissioned environmental and waste consultancy studies. Her research has been focused on waste and environmental management of mainland China and Hong Kong. Waste management and recycling behaviour, pharmaceutical waste and e-waste are specific areas in her research interests. She also has research experience in scuba diving and eco-tourism. She won the faculty performance award in individual teaching and team teaching in 2018-9 and 2019-20 respectively.
- Member, Advisory Council on Food and Environmental Hygiene (non-statutory), two terms: 1st April, 2013 – 31st March, 2017.
- Member, Appeal Tribunal Panel (in relation to s.45 of the Buildings Ordinance). Terms 1st December 2012 – 30th November 2015.
- Member, Steering Committee on Territory-wide Food Waste Reduction Campaign & the Subcommittee on Food Waste Reduction Good Practices in Institutions and Commercial and Industrial Establishments. Terms: December 2012 – November 2015.
- Member, Buildings Energy Efficiency Disciplinary Board Panel, established under the Buildings Energy Efficiency (Registered Energy Assessors) Regulation (Cap. 610B). Terms: 9th October, 2012 – 8th October, 2015.
- Member, Technical Panel of the Green Label Scheme, Hong Kong Green Council, since 2009.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Waste management
- Recycling behavior
- Environmental management systems
- Environmental management in China
- Managing pharmaceutical waste from households in Hong Kong, GRF, Research Grants Council. Duration: 1st Jan, 2015 – 31st Dec., 2016.
- TA 48908-001 PHI: PHI: Municipal Solid Waste Management – Bacolod City, for the Asian Development Bank, 27th Jan., 2015 – March, 2016 (tentative).
- TA-8117 PHI: The Procter & Gamble Company Waste to Worth Project – 2 Package 2, for the Asian Development Bank, 1st Feb, 2014 – 31st October, 2015.
- Field Assessment for the 5th – 9th Hong Kong Green School Award (2005-2011).
- A study of the impacts of intensive diving tourism on the marine environment of Hong Kong, ECF project 9/2009 (June 2010 – December 2011).
- The Problems and the Solutions to E-waste Generation and Disposal in Hong Kong, HKBU 2001-PPR-5 (April 2008 – March 2010).
- A study to collect key information for reference in developing practicable options for a Municipal Solid Waste charging scheme (August 2007 – July 2008).
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Faculty Performance Award in Team Teaching, Hong Kong Baptist University, 2019-2020
- Faculty Performance Award in Teaching, Hong Kong Baptist University, 2018-2019
- Zhang, L.Y. & Chung, S.S., 2015, Assessing the social carrying capacity of dive sites in Mabul Island, Malaysia, Environmental Management, (DOI)10.1007/s00267-015-0586-x.
- Zhang, L.Y., Qiu, J.W. & Chung, S.S., 2015, Assessing perceived crowding of dive sites in Hong Kong, Ocean and Coastal Management, v.116, November, pp.177-184.
- Au, C.S., Zhang, L.Y., Chung, S.S., Qiu, J.W., 2014, “Differential susceptibility to damage of corals in Hong Kong and possible causes”, Marine Pollution Bulletin, v.85, issue 2, pp.789-796.
- Lau, W.K.Y., Liang, P., Man, Y.B., Chung, S.S. & Wong, M.H., 2014, “Human health risk assessment based on trace metals in suspended air particulates, surface and floor dust from e-waste recycling workshops in Hong Kong, China”, Environmental Science and Pollution Research 21(5): 3813-3825.
- Chung, S.S. and Wong, C.K.C, 2013, “Regulatory and Policy Control on Food Safety in China”, Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 67(6): 476-477.
- Chung, S.S., Au, C.S. & Qiu, J.W., 2013, “Understanding and managing the underwater behaviour of scuba divers in Hong Kong”, Environmental Management 51(4): 824-837.
- Lau, W., Chung, S.S and Zhang, C., 2013, “A Material Flow Analysis on Current Electrical and Electronic Waste Disposal from Hong Kong Households”, Waste Management, 33(3): 714-721 DOI information: 10.1016/j.wasman.2012.09.007
- Chung, S.S. & Zhang, C., An Evaluation of Legislative Measures on Electrical and Electronic Waste in the People’s Republic of China, Waste Management, v.31 , pp. 2638–2646 (2011)
- Chung, S.S., Lau, W. K.Y. and Zhang, C., The Generation of and Control Measures for E-Waste in Hong Kong, Waste Management, v.31, pp. 544-554 (2011).
- Chung, S.S., Lau, W. K.Y. and Zhang, C., “Measuring bulky waste arisings in Hong Kong”, Waste Management, v.30, pp.737-743 (2010).
- Chung, S.S., “Projecting municipal solid waste: the case of Hong Kong SAR”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, v.54, pp.759-768 (2010).
- Chung, S.S., “Using plastic bag waste to assess the reliability of self-reported waste disposal data”, Waste Management, v.28, pp.2574-2584 (2008).
- S.S. Chung and M. Y. Leung, “The value-action gap in waste recycling: the case of undergraduates in Hong Kong”, Environmental Management, v.40, n.4, pp. 602-612 (2007).
- S.S. Chung and C.W.H. Lo, “Local waste management constraints and waste administrators in China”, Waste Management, v.28, n.2, pp. 272-281 (2007).
- S.S. Chung and C.W.H. Lo, “The roles of grassroots-level local government in sustainable waste management in China”, International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology, v.14, n.2, April, pp.133-144 (2007).
- S.S. Chung and C.W.H. Lo, forthcoming, “Waste management in Guangdong cities: the waste management literacy and waste reduction preferences of domestic waste generators”, Environmental Management, v.33, n.5, pp.692-711 (2004).
- S.S. Chung and C.W.H. Lo, “Evaluating Sustainability in Waste Management: The Case of Construction and Demolition, Chemical and Clinical Wastes in Hong Kong”, Resource, Conservation & Recycling, v.37, pp.119-145 (2003).
- S.S. Chung and C.S. Poon, “Accounting for the shortage of solid waste disposal facilities in Southern China”, Environmental Conservation, v.28, n.2, pp.99-103 (2001).
- S.S. Chung & C.S. Poon, “Characterisation of municipal solid waste and its recyclable contents of Guangzhou”, Waste Management and Research, v.19, pp.473-485 (2001).
Office: RRS 834
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 7741