- Member, Advisory Council on Food and Environmental Hygiene (non-statutory), two terms: 1st April, 2013 – 31st March, 2017.
- Member, Appeal Tribunal Panel (in relation to s.45 of the Buildings Ordinance). Terms 1st December 2012 – 30th November 2015.
- Member, Steering Committee on Territory-wide Food Waste Reduction Campaign & the Subcommittee on Food Waste Reduction Good Practices in Institutions and Commercial and Industrial Establishments. Terms: December 2012 – November 2015.
- Member, Buildings Energy Efficiency Disciplinary Board Panel, established under the Buildings Energy Efficiency (Registered Energy Assessors) Regulation (Cap. 610B). Terms: 9th October, 2012 – 8th October, 2015.
- Member, Technical Panel of the Green Label Scheme, Hong Kong Green Council, since 2009.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Waste management
- Recycling behavior
- Environmental management systems
- Environmental management in China
- Managing pharmaceutical waste from households in Hong Kong, GRF, Research Grants Council. Duration: 1st Jan, 2015 – 31st Dec., 2016.
- TA 48908-001 PHI: PHI: Municipal Solid Waste Management – Bacolod City, for the Asian Development Bank, 27th Jan., 2015 – March, 2016 (tentative).
- TA-8117 PHI: The Procter & Gamble Company Waste to Worth Project – 2 Package 2, for the Asian Development Bank, 1st Feb, 2014 – 31st October, 2015.
- Field Assessment for the 5th – 9th Hong Kong Green School Award (2005-2011).
- A study of the impacts of intensive diving tourism on the marine environment of Hong Kong, ECF project 9/2009 (June 2010 – December 2011).
- The Problems and the Solutions to E-waste Generation and Disposal in Hong Kong, HKBU 2001-PPR-5 (April 2008 – March 2010).
- A study to collect key information for reference in developing practicable options for a Municipal Solid Waste charging scheme (August 2007 – July 2008).
- Zhang, L.Y. & Chung, S.S., 2015, Assessing the social carrying capacity of dive sites in Mabul Island, Malaysia, Environmental Management, (DOI)10.1007/s00267-015-0586-x.
- Zhang, L.Y., Qiu, J.W. & Chung, S.S., 2015, Assessing perceived crowding of dive sites in Hong Kong, Ocean and Coastal Management, v.116, November, pp.177-184.
- Au, C.S., Zhang, L.Y., Chung, S.S., Qiu, J.W., 2014, “Differential susceptibility to damage of corals in Hong Kong and possible causes”, Marine Pollution Bulletin, v.85, issue 2, pp.789-796.
- Lau, W.K.Y., Liang, P., Man, Y.B., Chung, S.S. & Wong, M.H., 2014, “Human health risk assessment based on trace metals in suspended air particulates, surface and floor dust from e-waste recycling workshops in Hong Kong, China”, Environmental Science and Pollution Research 21(5): 3813-3825.
- Chung, S.S. and Wong, C.K.C, 2013, “Regulatory and Policy Control on Food Safety in China”, Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 67(6): 476-477.
- Chung, S.S., Au, C.S. & Qiu, J.W., 2013, “Understanding and managing the underwater behaviour of scuba divers in Hong Kong”, Environmental Management 51(4): 824-837.
- Lau, W., Chung, S.S and Zhang, C., 2013, “A Material Flow Analysis on Current Electrical and Electronic Waste Disposal from Hong Kong Households”, Waste Management, 33(3): 714-721 DOI information: 10.1016/j.wasman.2012.09.007
- Chung, S.S. & Zhang, C., An Evaluation of Legislative Measures on Electrical and Electronic Waste in the People’s Republic of China, Waste Management, v.31 , pp. 2638–2646 (2011)
- Chung, S.S., Lau, W. K.Y. and Zhang, C., The Generation of and Control Measures for E-Waste in Hong Kong, Waste Management, v.31, pp. 544-554 (2011).
- Chung, S.S., Lau, W. K.Y. and Zhang, C., “Measuring bulky waste arisings in Hong Kong”, Waste Management, v.30, pp.737-743 (2010).
- Chung, S.S., “Projecting municipal solid waste: the case of Hong Kong SAR”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, v.54, pp.759-768 (2010).
- Chung, S.S., “Using plastic bag waste to assess the reliability of self-reported waste disposal data”, Waste Management, v.28, pp.2574-2584 (2008).
- S.S. Chung and M. Y. Leung, “The value-action gap in waste recycling: the case of undergraduates in Hong Kong”, Environmental Management, v.40, n.4, pp. 602-612 (2007).
- S.S. Chung and C.W.H. Lo, “Local waste management constraints and waste administrators in China”, Waste Management, v.28, n.2, pp. 272-281 (2007).
- S.S. Chung and C.W.H. Lo, “The roles of grassroots-level local government in sustainable waste management in China”, International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology, v.14, n.2, April, pp.133-144 (2007).
- S.S. Chung and C.W.H. Lo, forthcoming, “Waste management in Guangdong cities: the waste management literacy and waste reduction preferences of domestic waste generators”, Environmental Management, v.33, n.5, pp.692-711 (2004).
- S.S. Chung and C.W.H. Lo, “Evaluating Sustainability in Waste Management: The Case of Construction and Demolition, Chemical and Clinical Wastes in Hong Kong”, Resource, Conservation & Recycling, v.37, pp.119-145 (2003).
- S.S. Chung and C.S. Poon, “Accounting for the shortage of solid waste disposal facilities in Southern China”, Environmental Conservation, v.28, n.2, pp.99-103 (2001).
- S.S. Chung & C.S. Poon, “Characterisation of municipal solid waste and its recyclable contents of Guangzhou”, Waste Management and Research, v.19, pp.473-485 (2001).
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 7741