|CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
Dr. Chiu has a broad interest in marine environmental science. Her current research focuses on the responses of marine microbes and invertebrates to environmental stress, with the aim of predicting ecological changes in their natural habitats. Recently, she started looking into how environmental stress (climate change, hypoxia and ubiquitous contaminants) may affect the marine microbial communities, invertebrates and their interactions, which may subsequently alter the structure and function of marine benthic communities. Some of her original research has had a global impact on marine sciences and attracted worldwide attention. For example, one of her research findings has been reported in BBC Wildlife Magazine (August 2011, Volume 29, Issue 4) and and another recent discovery from her research was highlighted in the European Commission: Science for Environment Policy (October 30, 2014, Issue 391). She has been invited by the United Nations (UN) and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to conduct an international training program for scientists from Asia and Africa as well as by the Partnerships in Environmental Management for the Seas of East Asia (PEMSEA) of the UN to present her work at the Regional Workshop on Tools and Instruments for Implementation of Sustainable Development Strategy for the Seas of East Asia. More recently, Dr. Chiu has been invited to serve on the working group of the Chinese Academy of Sciences to develop national ecosystem indices for China. She is also a member of the Regional Centre of Excellence in Marine Pollution of UN’s PEMSEA and a member of the State Key Laboratory in Marine Pollution.
INVITED TALKS SINCE 2014 (With financial support)
- Keynote lecture on “An ecosystem approach to biodiversity conservation: Lessons learnt from marine microbial community”; Annual International Conference on Ecology, Biodiversity and Environment (CEBE), December 15–16, 2014, Singapore.
- Invited talk on “Vulnerability assessment, adaptation, preparedness and response to natural and man-made hazards”; Using Science and Technology to Scale up Integrated Coastal Management: Regional Workshop on Tools and Instruments for Implementation of Sustainable Development Strategy for the Seas of East Asia, Partnerships in Environmental Management for the Seas of East Asia (PEMSEA) of the United Nations (UN), November 10–11, 2014, Xiamen.
- Invited talk on ” An ecosystem approach to biodiversity conservation”; Inaugural Meeting of 中科院咨询项目“中国近海生态环境评价与保护管理的科学问题及政策建议”, Chinese Academy of Sciences, December 18–19, 2014, Xiamen .
- Working Group for 中科院咨询项目”中国近海生态环境评价与保护管理的科学问题及政策建议” (CAS Project on Recommendations on the Ecological Assessment and Management of China Coastline), Chinese Academy of Sciences (2014–Date)
- DSE Biology and CS (Biology) Subject Committee, Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority (2012–Date)
- Marine Fish Scholarship Fund Advisory Committee, Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, Hong Kong SAR Government (2014–Date)
- Aquaculture Subcommittee of the Advisory Committee on Agriculture and Fisheries, Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, Hong Kong SAR Government (2015–Date)
- Fishermen Claims Appeal Board (Trawl Ban), Food and Health Bureau, Government Secretariat, Hong Kong SAR Government (2017–Date)
Since 2011, Dr. Chiu has secured > HK$ 7 million external competitive funding from UGC in the capacity of PI.
- General Research Fund (Physical Sciences Panel, UGC, Hong Kong Government) 2016-19, Will the ubiquitous contaminant tris(1,3-dichloro-2-propyl) phosphate affect growth, development, feeding, reproduction and larval settlement in marine invertebrates? HK$ 540,842 (Principal Investigator)
- Early Career Scheme (Biology & Medicine Panel, UGC, Hong Kong Government) 2015-18, Will hypoxia and ocean acidification alter biofilms and hence disrupt their role as a signpost for marine larval settlement? HK$ 715,836 (including $50,000 ECS Grant) (Principal Investigator).
- Theme-Based Project on Teaching and Learning (UGC, Hong Kong Government) 2015-18, Nurturing Global Environmental Leadership, HK$ 3,982,770 (Principal Investigator).
- General Research Fund (Biology & Medicine Panel, UGC, Hong Kong Government) 2012-15, Assessing the effects of hypoxia on the structure and function of the microbial community in marine sediments by the metagenomics approach, HK$ 1,010,000 (Principal Investigator).
- General Research Fund (Biology & Medicine Panel, UGC, Hong Kong Government) 2011-14, Polybrominated diphenyl ethers: Bioaccumulation, maternal transfer and effects on Darwinian fitness traits in multi-generations of the marine gastropod Crepidula onyx, HK$ 871,240 (Principal Investigator).
- Seed Collaborative Research Fund (State Key Laboratory in Marine Pollution) 2014-17, Functional responses of marine ecosystem to hypoxia, HK$ 2,000,000 (Co-Investigator)
- Seed Collaborative Research Fund (State Key Laboratory in Marine Pollution) 2014-17, Transgenerational effects of hypoxia in fish and underlying mechanisms, HK$ 2,200,000 (Co-Investigator)
- Seed Collaborative Research Fund (State Key Laboratory in Marine Pollution) 2011-14, Assessing the impacts of organic and metal pollution on symbiotic microbial communities in marine corals and sponges by metagenomics and transcriptomics approaches, HK$ 900,000 (Co-Investigator).
- Area of Excellence Grant (Hong Kong Government) 2009-14, Impacts of emerging chemical contaminants on microbial community and larval settlement of marine invertebrates,: HK$ 44 million (Co-opt member).
- Environment and Conservation Fund (Hong Kong Government) 2009-11, Characterization of bacterial community associated with skeletal tissue growth anomalies in the coral Platygyra carnosus, HK$ 249,960 (Principal Investigator).
PUBLICATIONS (JMY Chiu*: corresponding author)
- Po BHK, Ho KL, Lam MHW, Giesy JP, Chiu JMY* (2017) Uptake and biotransformation of 2,2′,4,4′-tetrabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-47) in four marine microalgae species. Scientific Reports 7:44263
- Zhang Y, Sun J, Chen C, Watanabe H, Feng D, Zhang Y, Chiu JMY, Qian PY, Qiu JW (2017) Adaptation and evolution of deep-sea scale worms (Annelida: Polynoidae): insights from transcriptome comparison with a shallow-water species. Scientific Reports 7:46205
- Wang SY, Lau K, Lai KP, Zhang J, Tse ACK, Li JW, Tong Y, Chan TF, Wong C, Chiu JMY, Au DWT, Wong AST, Kong RYC, Wu RSS (2016) Hypoxia causes transgenerational impairments in reproduction of fish. Nature Communications NCOMMS-15-20222B
- Lai KP, Li JW, Chan CYS, Chan TF, Yuen KWY, Chiu JMY* (2016) Transcriptomic alterations in Daphnia magna embryos from mothers exposed to hypoxia. Aquatic Toxicology 177:454–463
- Wei S, Lacap-Bugler DC, Lau M, Caruso T, Rao S, de los Rios A, Archer S, Chiu JMY, Higgins C, Van Nostrand J, Zhou J, Hopkins D, Pointing SB (2016) Taxonomic and functional diversity of soil and hypolithic microbial communities in Miers Valley, McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica. Frontiers in Microbiology 7:1642
- Chiu JMY*, Degger N, Leung JYS, Po BHK, Zheng GJ, Richardson BJ, Lau TC, Wu RSS (2016) A novel approach for estimating the removal efficiencies of endocrine disrupting chemicals and heavy metals in wastewater treatment processes. Marine Pollution Bulletin 112:53–57
- Degger N, Chiu JMY*, Po BHK, Tse ACK, Zheng GJ, Zhao DM, Xu D, Cheng YS, Wang XH, Liu WH, Lau TC, Wu RSS (2016) Heavy metal contamination along the China coastline: A comprehensive study using Artificial Mussels and native mussels. Journal of Environmental Management 180:238–246
- Ng JCY, Chan Y, Tun HM, Leung FCC, Shin PKS, Chiu JMY* (2015) Pyrosequencing of the bacteria associated with Platygyra carnosus corals with skeletal growth anomalies reveals differences in bacterial community composition in apparently healthy and diseased tissues. Frontiers in Microbiology 6:1142
- Chan CYS, Chiu JMY* (2015) Chronic effects of coated silver nanoparticles on marine invertebrate larvae. PLOS ONE DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0132457
- Wei STS, Fernandez-Martinez MA, Chan Y, Van Nostrand JD, de los Rios-Murillo A, Chiu JMY, Ganeshram AM, Cary SC, Zhou J, Pointing SB (2015) Diverse metabolic and stress-tolerance pathways in chasmoendolithic and soil communities of Miers Valley, McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica. Polar Biology 38:433–443
- Lai KP, Li JW, Wang SY, Chiu JMY, Tse A, Lau K, Lok S, Au DWT, WFW Tse, Wong CKC, Chan TF, Kong RYC, Wu RSS (2015) Tissue-specific transcriptome assemblies of the marine medaka Oryzias melastigma and comparative analysis with the freshwater medaka Oryzias latipes. BMC genomics 16:135 doi:10.1186/s12864-015-1325-7
- Tian RM, Lee OO, Wang Y, Cai L, Bougouffa S, Chiu JMY, Wu RSS, Qian PY (2015) Effect of polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) treatment on the composition and function of the bacterial community in the sponge Haliclona cymaeformis. Frontiers in Microbiology doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2014.00799
- Chan Y, Li A, Gopalakrishnan S, Shin PKS, Wu RSS, Pointing SB, Chiu JMY* (2014) Interactive effects of hypoxia and polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) on microbial community assembly in surface marine sediments. Marine Pollution Bulletin 85:425–432
- Cheung SG, Chan CYS, Po BHK, Li AL, Leung JYS, Qiu JW, Ang PO, Thiyagarajan V, Wu RSS, Shin PKS, Chiu JMY* (2014) Effects of hypoxia on benthic community: from biofilms to invertebrates. Marine Pollution Bulletin 85:418–424
- Cheung CHY, Chiu JMY, Wu RSS (2014) Hypoxia turns genotypic female medaka fish into phenotypic males. Ecotoxicology 23:1260–1269
- Shin PKS, Leung JYS, Qiu JW, Ang PO, Chiu JMY, Thiyagarajan V, Cheung SG (2014) Acute hypoxic exposure affects gamete quality and subsequent fertilization success and embryonic development in a serpulid polychaete. Marine Pollution Bulletin 85:439–445
- Li AL, Chiu JMY* (2013) Latent effects of hypoxia on the gastropod Crepidula onyx. Marine Ecology Progress Series 480:145–154
- Li Y, Chan Y, Zhang R, Fu Y, Chiu JMY* (2013) Coralslurrinella hongkonensis gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel bacterium in the family Psychromonadaceae, isolated from the coral Platygyra carnosus. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek Journal of Microbiology 104:983–991
- Mukherjee J, Po BHK, Chiu JMY*, Wu RSS, Qian PY, Thiyagarajan V (2013) Polybrominated diphenyl ethers do not affect metamorphosis but alter the proteome of the invasive slipper limpet Crepidula onyx. Marine Pollution Bulletin 73:273–281
- Shin PKS, Leung JYS, Qiu JW, Ang PO, Chiu JMY, Thiyagarajan V, Cheung SG (2013) Hypoxia induces abnormal larval development and affects biofilm-larval interaction in the serpulid polychaete Hydroides elegans. Marine Pollution Bulletin 76:291–297
- Leung JYS, Cheung SG, Qiu JW, Ang PO, Chiu JMY, Thiyagarajan V, Shin PKS (2013) Effect of parental hypoxic exposure on embryonic development of the offspring of wo serpulid polychaetes: Implication for transgational epigenetic effect. Marine Pollution Bulletin 74:149–155
- Leung YS, Shin PKS, Qiu JW, Ang PO, Chiu JMY, Thiyagarajan V, Cheung SG (2013) Tolerance and physiological and behavioural responses of different life stages of a serpulid polychaete to hypoxia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 477:135–145
- Kwok CT, van de Merwe JP, Chiu JMY, Wu RSS (2012) Antioxidant responses and lipid peroxidation in gills and hepatopancreas of the mussel Perna viridis upon exposure to the red tide organism Chattonella marina and hydrogen peroxide. Harmful Algae 13:40–46
- Wu RSS, Woo KT, Chiu JMY (2012) Effect of hypoxia on growth of the diatom Skeletonema costatum. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 420-421:65–68
- Chiu JMY*, Li S, Li A, Po B, Zhang R, Shin PKS, Qiu JW (2012) Bacteria associated with skeletal tissue growth anomalies in the coral Platygyra carnosus. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 79:380–391 (photo was selected as the cover image for all regular issues of the Journal in year 2012)
- Chiu JMY*, Po BHK, Chan CYS, Lam MHW, Qian PY, Wu RSS (2012) Polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs) in biofilms hinder larval settlement of marine intertidal organisms across three phyla. Environmental Science and Technology 46:7772–7781
- Zhao Q, Cheung SG, Shin PKS, Chiu JMY* (2011) Effects of starvation on the physiology and foraging behaviour of two subtidal nassariid scavengers. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 409:53–61
- Chiu JMY, Shin PKS, Yang FY, Cheung SG (2011) Can a scavenging gastropod with a mussel conspecific diet induce anti-predator defence in the mussel Perna viridis? Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 401:85–88
- Liu CC, Chiu JMY, Shin PKS, Cheung SG (2011) Physiological responses of two subtidal nassariid gastropods to hypoxia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 429:75–85
- Liu CC, Chiu JMY, Li L, Shin PKS, Cheung SG (2011) Respiration rate and swimming activity of larvae of two sub-tidal nassariid gastropods under reduced oxygen levels: Implications for their distributions in Hong Kong waters. Marine Pollution Bulletin 63:230–236
- Chiu JMY, Cheung SG, Wong KP, Shin PKS (2010) Sibling cannibalism in juveniles of the marine gastropod Nassarius festivus (Powys, 1983). Malacologia 52:157–161
- Tong ESP, van de Merwe JP, Chiu JMY, Wu RSS (2010) Effects of 1,2-dichlorobenzene on the growth and reproduction of the amphipod, Melita Longidactyla. Chemosphere 80:20–27
- Shin PKS, Yang FY, Chiu MY, Cheung SG (2009) Cues from the predator crab Thalamita danae fed different prey can affect Scope For Growth. Marine and Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology 42:343–355
- Cheung SG, Yang FY, Chiu JMY, Liu CC, Shin PKS (2009) Anti-predator behaviour in the green-lipped mussel, Perna viridis: byssus thread production depends on the mussels’ position in clump. Marine Ecology Progress Series 378:145–151
- Chiu JMY, Zhang R, Wang H, Thiyagarajan V, Qian PY (2008) Nutrient effects on intertidal community: from bacteria to invertebrates. Marine Ecology Progress Series 358:41–50
- Chiu JMY, Wang H, Thiyagarajan V, Qian PY (2008) Differential timing of larval starvation effects on filtration rate and growth in juvenile Crepidula onyx. Marine Biology 151:1417–1431
- Chiu JMY, Thiyagarajan V, Pechenik JA, Hung OS, Qian PY (2007) Influence of bacteria and diatoms in biofilms on metamorphosis of the marine slipper limpet Crepidula onyx. Marine Biology 151:1417–1431
- Chiu JMY, Ng TYT, Wang WX, Thiyagarajan V, Qian PY (2007) Latent effects of larval food limitation on filtration rate, carbon assimilation and growth in juvenile gastropod Crepidula onyx. Marine Ecology Progress Series 343:173–182
- Chiu JMY, Thiyagarajan V, Tsoi MMY, Qian PY (2005) Qualitative and quantitative changes in marine biofilms as a function of temperature and salinity in summer and winter. Biofilms 2:183–195
- Thiyagarajan V, Hung OS, Chiu JMY, Wu RSS, Qian PY (2005) Growth and survival of juvenile barnacle: interactive effects of cyprid energy reserve level and habitat. Marine Ecology Progress Series 299:229–237
Office Tel: (+852) 3411 7350